Problems with residential builders

35It is an implied provision of a contract of home improvement that the work be performed in a workmanlike and professional manner and in compliance with any applicable building code or local ordinance.

In general, Michigan law requires certain types of jobs or trades to be done by a licensed contractor if the job’s total value is $600 or more, including material and labor. Otherwise, the contract is void and unenforceable.  The following trades and jobs typically must be performed by a licensed contractor: new construction/remodeling of homes, apartment, buildings, condominiums, townhouses, etc., carpentry, concrete, excavation, insulation, masonry, painting & decorating, siding, roofing, screen & storm sash, gutters, tile & marble, house Wrecking, swimming pools, replacement of windows/doors /garage doors, laying wood floors, and basement waterproofing.  However, the following jobs typically do not require a license: drywall, fences, awnings, sewer and septic, water lines, sprinklers, pavers without mortar asphalt paving, house moving carpeting and vinyl floors (not wood), and plaster and lath.

To schedule an appointment to discuss problems with a contractor, please call (734) 475-4659. 

The foregoing is general information only and does not constitute legal advice regarding your specific legal matter nor does it create an attorney-client relationship regarding your matter.