finleyIf your name isn’t on your child’s birth certificate in Michigan, you will need to establish paternity before you will have a right to seek custody or visitation rights.  Paternity can be established in two ways:

  • By having your child’s mother sign an acknowledgment of paternity, or,
  • By a successful DNA test showing you to be the father.

Also, if you were married to the mother at the time the child was born, you are legally the father, and presumed to be the father until or unless you a DNA test shows otherwise.

The foregoing is general information only and does not constitute legal advice regarding your specific legal matter nor does it create an attorney-client relationship regarding your matter.